Monday, March 9, 2015

What is a Woolie?!

I imagine that not everyone will be familiar with what a Woolie is, especially since it is a term that I sort of made up to describe them. Essentially, Woolies are little animals that I craft out of wool.

First off, here are some examples of Woolies that I've made to give you an idea of what they look like.


Penguin Familia

Penguin Familia


Gilbert the Frog


Bobo the Penguin


These were my first few attempts at making my little Woolie animals and I have to say that I think they're rather cute! The first set of three penguins and Gilbert the Frog were modeled off projects found in a book that I purchased of Amazon. This is the book: Woolbuddies: 20 Irresistibly Simple Needle Felting Projects

After even just those few Woolies, I was hooked! For Bobo, I sort of made him up myself. I usually pull up Google Images of animals that I want to try and create and just sort of free-hand it. For me, this type of craft is extremely relaxing and fun. Each animal usually takes me between 2-5 hours total, depending on the complexity. 

I start with just plain white wool and mold all the shapes using my felting needle. Once all the shapes are there, I start adding color to the pieces to form the distinct colors of the animal. Then I will attach the pieces together; i.e. head to body, limbs to body. Finally, the last touches are usually the face. Sometimes I just add eyes, often there is a beak or nose involved. I add what I think makes the animal as cute as possible. 

Anyway, I'll share more of the animals that I have made in the past. Usually, I give them away as gifts to friends and family, and sometimes I forget to take pictures before sending them off. This is the case with a few of my little Woolies and I must wait to receive pictures from their new friends before I can show it on this blog. Until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment